Movers & shakers
CONFERENCES & EVENTS.
The 89 Initiative is at the vanguard of the public and policy debates, thanks to its cycles of events and flagship conferences organised all over Europe.
Their result is usually a short policy report or series of recommendations. Speakers and participants have included former heads of state, government, Nobel Prize winners, Commissioners, ministers, MPs, civil servants, and a plethora of academics and policy experts.
The Shifting Sands of EUrope: COVID-19, Energy, and the Drumbeat of War
22 June 2022 | Hybrid Event
Conference hub: Campus Brussels, Bel-étage
Satellites: London School of Economics; University of Athens
And livestreamed online!
The annual conference is the flagship event of the 89 Initiative. It intends to create a forum for debate among some of the brightest minds in the EUropean politics and policy to discuss the generational challenges facing Europe. It aims also to provide a platform for its 18 research programmes to discuss their research, and apply their insights to the major challenges of the day. The format is a mixture of panel discussions and keynote addresses. This year, we will be organising the conference in partnership with Studio Europa Maastricht, of Maastricht University. The event will take place at the Brussels campus of the University but, in the spirit of a pan-European think tank, will involve a network of conference venues connected online. As such, the conference will not only be a ‘hybrid’, but also a ‘multi-location’ one.
- Alberto AlemannoJean Monnet Professor of European Union Law and Regulation
- Andreas AktoudianakisSpecial Assistant, Open Society European Policy Institute
- Cherry JamesSenior Lecturer, Southbank University London
- Corrado MacchiarelliVisiting Fellow, London School of Economics and Political Science
- Françoise BoucekLecturer, Queen Mary University of London
- Genevieve Pons-DeladriereDirector IJD Representation to the EU, Jacques Delors Institute
- James Ker-LindsaySenior Research Fellow, London School of Economics and Political Science
- Joaquín AlmuniaFormer European Commissioner and Visiting Professor, LSE
- Kristina KazmiDirector, Counterpoint
- Leopold TraugottPolicy Analyst, Open Europe
- Lisa FischerPolicy Advisor, E3G’s London office
- Marrku MarrkulaPresident of the European Committee of the Regions
- Mary HoneyballMember of the European Parliament
- Peter WildingDirector, British Influence and Former Head of Media for the Conservative Party in the European Parliament
- Philippe LegrainFormer advisor to the President of the Commission and Senior Visiting Fellow, LSE
- Richard LewisSenior Research Fellow Migration & Diversity, Institute for European Studies
- Rosa BalfourActing Director of the Europe Program, German Marshall Fund of the United States
- Ruxandra TrandafoiuUniversity Reader and former Journalist, the Edgehill University
- Shahin ValléeFormer Economic Advisor to the President of the European Council and Senior Economist at Soros Fund Management
- Simon GlendinningProfessor of European Philosophy, London School of Economics and Political Science
- Spyros EconomidesDirector of the Hellenic Observatory and Associate Professor of International Relations and European Politics, London School of Economics and Political Science
- Steve CoulterFellow in Political Economy, London School of Economics and Political Science
- Viktoria NagyPresident of the Youth Committee, ETUC
- Waltraud SchelkleAssociate Professor of Political Economy, London School of Economics and Political Science
- Zuzana StuchlíkováHead of the Brussels Office, EUROPEUM Institute for European Policy