Movers & shakers
CONFERENCES & EVENTS.
The 89 Initiative is at the vanguard of the public and policy debates, thanks to its cycles of events and flagship conferences organised all over Europe.
Their result is usually a short policy report or recommendation. Speakers and participants included Timothy Garton Ash, Philip Legrain, Joaquín Almunia, Marrku Marrkula, Karen Smith, Spyros Economides, Kevin Featherstone, Timothy Garton Ash, Lorenzo Codogno, Alberto Alemanno and many more.
The 89 Initiative podcast
Our Talking Europe series are roundtable discussions involving experts and researchers. Topics of key relevance included the immediate Brexit fallout, the election of Donald Trump as US President, as well as the rise of Emmanuel Macron.
In its inaugural year, Talking Europe produced 12 podcasts hosted by Michael Cottakis, 5 policy briefs, 4 public events bringing together some of Europe’s most exciting minds, and a weekly News Brief with a weekly analysis on EU current affairs from an 89er perspective.
Looking Ahead: The 89ers and the Future of the EU
30 January 2019, London
London School of Economics,
Sheikh Zayed Theatre, New Academic Building
18:30 – 20:00
Free – No tickets required
As the 1989 Generation Initiative celebrates its third anniversary, we will host a conference with the European Institute of the London School of Economics to talk about the future of the European Union in the wake of Brexit.
Speaker: Professor Timothy Garton Ash, Professor of European Studies at the University of Oxford
Welcome Address: Michael Cottakis, President, 1989 Generation Initiative
Chair: Kevin Featherstone, Director of the LSE Hellenic Observatory
- Alberto AlemannoJean Monnet Professor of European Union Law and Regulation
- Andreas AktoudianakisSpecial Assistant, Open Society European Policy Institute
- Cherry JamesSenior Lecturer, Southbank University London
- Corrado MacchiarelliVisiting Fellow, London School of Economics and Political Science
- Françoise BoucekLecturer, Queen Mary University of London
- Genevieve Pons-DeladriereDirector IJD Representation to the EU, Jacques Delors Institute
- James Ker-LindsaySenior Research Fellow, London School of Economics and Political Science
- Joaquín AlmuniaFormer European Commissioner and Visiting Professor, LSE
- Kristina KazmiDirector, Counterpoint
- Leopold TraugottPolicy Analyst, Open Europe
- Lisa FischerPolicy Advisor, E3G’s London office
- Marrku MarrkulaPresident of the European Committee of the Regions
- Mary HoneyballMember of the European Parliament
- Peter WildingDirector, British Influence and Former Head of Media for the Conservative Party in the European Parliament
- Philippe LegrainFormer advisor to the President of the Commission and Senior Visiting Fellow, LSE
- Richard LewisSenior Research Fellow Migration & Diversity, Institute for European Studies
- Rosa BalfourActing Director of the Europe Program, German Marshall Fund of the United States
- Ruxandra TrandafoiuUniversity Reader and former Journalist, the Edgehill University
- Shahin ValléeFormer Economic Advisor to the President of the European Council and Senior Economist at Soros Fund Management
- Simon GlendinningProfessor of European Philosophy, London School of Economics and Political Science
- Spyros EconomidesDirector of the Hellenic Observatory and Associate Professor of International Relations and European Politics, London School of Economics and Political Science
- Steve CoulterFellow in Political Economy, London School of Economics and Political Science
- Viktoria NagyPresident of the Youth Committee, ETUC
- Waltraud SchelkleAssociate Professor of Political Economy, London School of Economics and Political Science
- Zuzana StuchlíkováHead of the Brussels Office, EUROPEUM Institute for European Policy